How many 14 years old leave their country to study abroad? Well Milica KUBURA is one of them…
She contact me through my sports agency Elite Volley Agency & non-profit Elite Sport Students project.
She asked for help getting to a US college. I told her she shouldn’t have to pay an agent OR ANYONE for doing any of this because her education is MOST important. We put together a CV with her transcripts & all other documents. I sent it off to my network in the USA of over 1400 coaches and she received in the next weeks a TON of interest. JACKPOT!
Well what made her decide to go to the US? Why did she live alone in Italy as a Serbian girl at the age of 14? Find out in this episode.
Leave a Review & Subscribe to #BeyondAthletic in iTunes so other can find us too! Share this with one person you think could benefit the most...
About Milica KUBURA
This is the 2nd part of episode 7 with Milica KUBURA of Florida State University Seminole women's sand & indoor teams.
She is a 19 year old from Serbia who lived in Italy alone at 14 years old for school... and now again in the USA.
She is a former Serbian Junior National Team player.
Talks about her reasons for leaving Serbia for her education and more opportunities than Serbia can provide for her.Give tips and advice about how to do what she did, what makes her successful and daily routines.
LEAVE A REVIEW & Subscribe to #BeyondAthletic in iTunes so other can find us too! Share this with one person you think could benefit the most...
Key Discussion Points:
- What’s her story and how she got into sports?
- What else she’s interested in?
- What did she struggle with in sports?
- Why was it important that she go to a great school while playing volleyball?
- What is her advice for international students that want to go to school in America?
- What are her goals?
- What were your fears/worries before going to the USA?
- What was a lightbulb moment that changed your life?
- What's a typical day & week @ school in the USA?
- What level is Division 1 NCAA school volleyball in the USA?
- What's your advice for student-athletes?
- How do you add value to people?
- What's your next goal?
- America offered more than she ever imagined.
"I had no idea of the US... where I would go... how things work... will i fit in the team?"
- The best opportunity is always recognized publicly by others.
"When I decided to come to America...it completely changed my life!"
- Routines are important to her success.
- Watching video of herself playing is "extremely helpful."
- The level of play in US D1 NCAA volleyball is much higher than expected
"Lots of people (in Serbia) think school (in America) is a joke but that's NOT it at all... It's just BETTER ORGANIZED... So things seem easier"
- Many players go from US schools into top professional clubs
- Make changes if you want to live a great life that you want
"I think everybody should believe in ourselves... and follow our minds & hearts. I know that lots of people are afraid to make changes in their lives BUT THEY SHOULDN'T. "
"Don't be afraid to change your life!"
- Find people that do what you're interested in and talk with them about it.
"I encourage people to talk to people that are already (in the US) because that helps a lot!"
One personal habit to contributes to athlete's health:
Drinking a glass of hot water every morning.
Overcomes fear of failure by:
Taking "centering breaths"
- 6-7 second breath in thru your nose & 8-10 seconds out through your mouth.
"I tried it and it REALLY helps!" - Milica Kubura
- Singing in her head
Not To Stress about anything. "Everything happens for a reason... & since I started thinking of that everything is much easier."
Best Advice ever received:
"If you work hard nobody can stop you & there are people who are gonna hate you because you're successful.. or people are gonna talk bad about you BUT at the end of the day the MOST important thing is YOUR opinion of about yourself & what YOU are doing... How much effort are you putting in your work... and EVERY SINGLE THING IS GOING TO PAY OFF!"
Athlete's Learning Resource:
http://www.andrijageric.com (Mental Training & More by Former Olympic Serbian)
Most grateful for:
Support from her family.
How athlete add's value to others:
Talking to people everyday & getting to know them
Athlete's favorite hobby:
Charity/Organizations They Add Value to:
Schools & Children's Hospitals by visiting and talking to young children
Red Star (Crvena Zvezda, Belgrade, Serbia), Serbian JR National Team & Florida State University (Indoor & Sand Teams)