January 21, 2015 | Solo Session with Ryan Jay Owens
6 Tips To Keep Your Body & Mind Healthy With RJO
Today’s show will be another solo session with me. I want to share with you guys some of the lessons I have learned in 13 years of being a professional volleyball player around the world in more than 30 countries. I want to give you some small tips and tools that can change your life, not only in your sports world, but also for your own well being.
You should always have your goals in front of you and be doing everything possible to optimize the not-so-little daily habits that can help your reach your goals! Here's some of my favorites and most vital that I use daily.
1. HYDRATE | Before, During & After Tips
Before Training: Mornings 1 L water & 30-60’ b4 workout 1/2-1L minimum (pee test = The darker it is yellow is your dehydration level basically)
*During Training: Smaller amounts more often… best. Super long or hard have fruit with lots of water in it but lower fiber.. oranges, mandarins, bananas, etc.
*After Training: 5-10’ 1/2L dep. on sweat with salt!
2. REFUEL | Post Workout Nutrition
FANTASTIC 4 = ENERGY + MUSCLE + HYDRATION + IMMUNE
KEYS: 30’ WINDOW for Stage 1 + 60-120’ window for Stage 2
- STAGE 1 = 30’ WINDOW after training
Glycogen Stores ("energy reserves") (1.2g/kg of bodyweight of carbs OR carb/protein mix)
*RECOVERY SHAKE EXAMPLE:
CARBS (fruit/berries, quinoa, sweet potato, seeds & nuts) + PROTEIN (hemp seed protein, whey, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc) + GUT HEALTH PREP = PREBIOTICS (garlic, banana, leeks, etc) & PROBIOTICS (greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, miso, kimchi, and kefir) + BOOSTS (salt, manuka honey, stevia, cinnamon, raw cacao powder, vanilla powder, maca powder, chia seeds, coconut flakes, coconut oil, hemp seed oil, etc)
- STAGE 2 = 60-120’ window after training
Protein, Protein Helpers, Fats (Omegas, etc), Antioxidants, Slow Carbs
RECOVERY BOWL = FISH/POULTRY/RED MEAT (Bacon is ok) + FAT (nuts/seeds on salad… avocado.. coconut, hemp seed or walnut oil) + VEGGIES (Dark green Spinach/Kale/Collards etc but also bright colors more color the more vitamins/antioxidants) + SLOW CARBS (20% is probably more than enough here) Legumes like lentils, black beans.. Quinoa, rolled oats, whole-grain pumpernickel bread, Buckwheat, pearled barley and whole-wheat bread/tortillas for wrap/sandwich
*Drink water/liquids up to 20’ before meals and 30-60’ after or you will not digest everything from you food
A Shot of pure lemon juice after meal will help digestion and fat loss.
Clove of garlic
*Don’t Eat close to bedtime or you will be processing food during sleep...not have consistent sleep quality which will defeat the nutrition you just gave yourself!
3. GET FIT | Like An Olympian & Shed Fat
a. TABATA 8' Total = 2' Warm Up + 4' ON/OFF + 2' Cool Down (actually 2m40s of actual hard work… ;)
Weights (body + external weights)
Use props… Bands, Balls, Boxes (3 B’s… B-Trio…TB’s...)
4. BE MINDFUL | Flow State: Get In THE ZONE!
Take 5-10’ for breathing and visualizations
- Mindful Breathing | Boosts focus, metabolism, productivity, creativeness
- Eyes closed
- Quiet room
- Sit straight up with legs crossed or butterfly (Use Wall or couch if needed)
- Set alarm for 5-10'
- Tip: overtime your mind wanders just focus attention back to the normal rhythm of your breathing.. breathing will happen whether or not you think about it ;)
- Visualize Success | Your dream + skills needed to accomplish YOUR dream
- Repeat until you can see yourself successfully completing each skill you want to improve. This may take time but once you can.. try to see 8-10x of the same successful skill.
- Tip: imagine how it feels, smells, etc.
5. GROW WISER | Everyday improve your knowledge 1%
- Contact A Mentor
- Contact them
- Read something they wrote you as a reminder
- Try to emulate/mimic/copy their way of doing what they do best to improve yourself in those areas.
- Books (Autobiographies, Historical, Coaching (Skill Acquisition aka self-help)
- Web Research
- MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses)
6. MOBILITY MASHING | Prevent Injuries, Soreness & promote F.R.O.M
- Tools = Ball and/or Roller
- 30 seconds on each TP (Trigger Point) for 10'