Edina SELIMOVIC | My International Student-Athlete Experience
First, a little background on you and the school...
- Your full name:
- Your country of origin?
- Your last team in your home country before attending school internationally?
- Name of your college/university?
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
- This school is in...
- ...your sport?
- ..your jersey # ?
- ...received a scholarship?
- ...enter your major(s):
- ...select your status in school:
- Lastly, please enter your PERSONAL profile link from your school’s website:
Tell your experience BEFORE you got to your foreign school...
- ...choose any of the following that helped you in your process of deciding/getting to a foreign school:
- ...how difficult was it to decide to go to a foreign school (0-10 being the most)?
- ... If you knew what you know NOW... how difficult would it have been to decide to go to a foreign school (0-10 being the most)??
- What were the main things that convinced you to choose to go to a foreign school? :)
The main four things that made me to come in US are: to play volleyball of course, to get a college degree, to learn how to speak English, and new experience!
- ...What, if any, were the difficulties in choosing to go to a foreign school?
Being far from my family...
- ... and how did you overcome these obstacles to get to a foreign school?
Easy... just put on the piece of paper what would I gain and what would I lose by coming here... My gains won, and my decision was obvious!
- ... how helpful were the staff at the school with getting you admitted (0-10 being the most)?
- What things helped you get everything done to get to a foreign school?
Coaches from the University helped me a lot, and foreign student-athletes !
Lastly, your experience at your foreign school...
- ...your happiness with international student-athletics?
- ...What, if any, were the difficulties to adjust to life in your school’s country?
Whenever I first came here I couldn't speak English that well so that was basically the most difficult for me, and I would say "adjusting to food"
- ... and how did you overcome these obstacles to adjust to school life?
By studying more and more every day, talking to people and meeting new friends! By realizing it was easier and easier every day...
- ...What were your best experiences in your foreign school?
Seeing all these big beautiful Gyms...visiting a lot of different states...different program of practices and workouts...how much you can be appreciated only if you work hard and share your positivism....meeting families and friends that will stay forever in my life...coaching little girls (11's,12's,13's)...tasting the best deserts in the world...making 2nd round of NCAA last year...visiting my family in California two years in a row...much more...
- Anything else you’d like to mention?
I did NOT regret 0.1% for my decision to come here! It's a one life opportunity and one life journey!
- Would you be interested in an international athlete network? Yes
- Do you plan to be a PRO in your sport after college? Yes