Helena PERIC | My International Student-Athlete Experience
First, a little background on you and the school...
- Your full name:
- Your country of origin?
- Name of your college/university?
Missouri State University West Plains & University of California Riverside
- This school is in...
- ...your sport?
- ..your jersey # ?
- ...received a scholarship?
- ...enter your major(s):
Media and Cultural Studies with Film Production
- ...select your status in school:
- Lastly, please enter your profile link from your school’s team: http://gohighlanders.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3440&path=wvball
Tell your experience BEFORE you got to your foreign school...
- ...how difficult was it to decide to go to a foreign school?
- ... If you knew what you know NOW... how difficult would it have been to decide to go to a foreign school??
- What were the main things that convinced you to choose to go to a foreign school? :)
The opportunity to play the sport I love and go to school at the same time
- ...What, if any, were the difficulties in choosing to go to a foreign school?
Paperwork takes time and costs a lot of money but it is nothing compare what is waiting for you after...
- ... and how did you overcome these obstacles to get to a foreign school?
My parents and coaches from the USA helped me a lot.
- ... how helpful were the staff at the school with getting you admitted?
- What things helped you get everything done to get to a foreign school?
My coach from Junior college helped me get everything done.
Lastly, your experience at your foreign school...
- ...your happiness with international student-athletics?
- ...What, if any, were the difficulties to adjust to life in your school’s country?
The language might be a little difficult at the beginning and getting use to completely different culture.
- ... and how did you overcome these obstacles to adjust to school life?
My teammates were always there for me. I met a lot of amazing people who were there for me for anything I need.
- ...What were your best experiences in your foreign school?
Meeting some of my best friends, getting educated, travel all around the country, playing D1 volleyball with people from all around the world...
- Anything else you’d like to mention?
This is a great opportunity for everyone who loves sports and school at the same time. It is great experience to help you succeed in life and grow as a person. I would highly recommend this to everyone who is not afraid to try something new.
- Did you enjoy talking about this?
- Would you be interested in an international athlete network?
- Do you plan to be a PRO in your sport after college?