Athlete Case Study: Croatian Pro & National Team Volleyball Player
Dec 5, 2014
Back in 2011 we met in South Korea as players in their V-League. While in Croatia on a mini-vacay with two puppies three young girls & a husband/wife staying in a cute village near Split named the Kaštela's.
She invited me to check out the city a few times during my mnth stay and we got to know eachother a bit better. She got that stern look but she a softie for sure!
She grew up in Split, Croatia (one of the most beautiful areas of th southern Croatian coast....) as a daughter of a mother whose rules are never broken, a famous basketball player father and two brothers the focus was on being a complete person & well educated. Worked a bit at the family pizzeria as a kid. Learned to respect money and keep herself & her home tidy.
Was a really skinny and weak kid but fast... picked up tennis & swimming.... through constant boring & lonely without friends travel with her parents a change had to made...
A coach wouldn' t stop calling her even though she had reservations and relaly no idea of what volleyball was like...
She had to live 12hrs away from her family to pursue volleyball and that was the toughest decision of her life at 15yrs old.
- Played for Split, Kastela then OK Istarska Banka, Pula Croatia ending in 2nd or 3rd every year for 4 years...
- University in USA @ UC Berkeley for 3 years.
- Russia half season 1st place in championship & cup…& ¼ finals of CL
- A1 Italy a couple seasons.
- UC Berkeley for last year & degree. Couldn’t play… WHY?
- Italy w/ 2nd place in A2 trophy, Korea (picking up a cup title & 2nd place in championship) & Turkey for 2 seasons selected Best Scorer 2x of Turkish league… Now Japan!
- National team since 1995 w/ Multiple European & World Championship & World Cup experiences…
"Believe in your dreams" -Her Mother
“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.” -Anatole France
Most Influential Person in Life:
Mother.. not because she pushed her to reach higher... Mia pushed herself. It's because she made her have courage to pursue her dreams, so she would always have strength to reach higher and do better.
- WHAT IS MIA JERKOV’S STORY?
- DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CROATIA & USA?
- WHO IS MIA JERKOV TODAY?
- WHAT WAS HOLDING YOU BACK FROM BECOMING A GREAT ATHLETE?
- WHAT WAS AN OBSTACLE IN HER LIFE?
- WHAT PERSONAL HABITS YOU BELIEVE CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR SUCCESS?
- WHAT WAS YOUR PROUDEST MOMENT?
- WHAT YOUR PLAN FOR THE FUTURE…. IN LIFE, BUSINESS AND SPORT?
THE BEYOND ATHLETIC TIPJAR
✓ How long to do sleep & What’s your morning ritual?
- 7hrs minimum but tries for 8!
- Brush teeth, coffee, stretch, eat & arrive to training 40 minutes early.
✓ A book or learning resource you love to use to learn new things
Flipboard News App, books & the Bible.
✓ A tool (item/product or action) you love to use to stay healthy or improve yourself in someway:
Foam Roller & Stretching
✓ Something you must take when traveling?
- travel roller
- laptop /phone
✓ What book would you give away to an athlete as a gift & why?
Zlatanov Ibrahimovic Biography
✓ A cause or thing/action you like to do to add value to other peoples lives that you either know or dont know at all:
Always be kind & polite regardless of people's behavior. "Can move mountains!"
✓ What advice would you give to your 15 year old self? Your 20 year old self?
15yr: "Have courage & go in direction of your heart!"
20yr: "Have confidence!"
✓ Your social media accounts @username on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc)
Twitter: @miaj55 | Instagram: @miaj5 | Facebook: Mia Jerkov
Definition of Beyond Athletic?
"Day by Day be a better person & athlete while maintaining moral values... Build something of quality and maintain it!"